Guest access is the mechanism for allowing people who are not enrolled in a Moodle course the ability to see what is posted in that course. For academic courses, the College recommends:
- Enabling guest access during pre-registration and shopping periods so that interested students can view the syllabus and get a sense of readings and course assignments
- Disabling guest access after registration has closed unless there are pedagogical reasons to leave a course open.
Before you start, you may need access to the following:
- a Teacher role in a Moodle Course (to enable/disable guest access for a course)
What guests can and can’t do
- Guests can see everything you have posted to the course (including readings, videos, forum posts, etc.),
- Guests cannot participate in course activities such as Quizzes.*
- Guests do not need to have brynmawr.edu or haverford.edu credentials.
- Guests can be prompted to enter password if you want to limit access.
*If students need to submit assignments or take quizzes in Moodle before they have officially registered a course, please enroll them in the course as Auditors. Remind the students that they still need to register — they cannot get academic credit for the course unless they officially register for it through Bionic and/or the Registrar’s Office.
Enable/disable guest access for a course
You must have a Teacher role in the course to do this.
- Log in to your course and click Participants in the left side bar (see below).
- Click the gear icon in the top right and choose Enrollment Methods from the drop-down menu (see below).
- If Guest access is grayed out as shown below, it has been disabled. Click the Enable/Disable button (looks like an eye) to toggle Guest access on and off.
- If you want to restrict guest access to specific people, click the Edit (gear) button next to the eye and add a Password, and give this password to people who need to enter the course. We strongly recommend creating a password for courses that will be permanently guest-accessible.
- When you are finished, click Save changes.
The instructions below explain how to find guest-accessible courses on Moodle. You can also copy the URL of your course from your web browser’s address bar and share it (and the course password, if you set one) with your guests. If they aren’t already logged into Moodle, they will be prompted to do so when they click on your link — people without BMC or Haverford credentials can use the Log in as guest option.
Find and enter guest-accessible courses
The Course Overview section on your Moodle Dashboard will only show courses you are enrolled in. To find and enter guest-accessible courses that you aren’t enrolled in:
- Log in to Moodle. (If you do not have an account on Bryn Mawr’s Moodle site, use the Log in as guest option.)
- In the Course Categories block at the bottom of your dashboard, you can:
- Browse for courses in particular categories by clicking through the links/menus.
- Search for a course by clicking All courses and typing keywords from the full or short name in the search box.
- Guest-accessible courses will have a Guest access icon (looks like an open padlock) next to the title.
- Click on the course title to enter. If you are prompted for a password, enter the course password the instructor or course organizer gave you (not your BMC password). If you don’t know the password or the password you were given isn’t working, contact the instructor/course organizer.
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!