By default, Bionic creates a Moodle course for each section of a multi-section academic course. If you will use the same content and activities for multiple sections, we can create a merged course shell that enrolls all students from those sections so you only have one course to maintain. You can merge the courses yourself or request that LITS do it for you.
If you want to re-use course content and materials from a previous semester in a current course, see Moodle: Copy content from another course instead.
Before you start, you may need:
- an Instructor of record or Other editing teacher role in all courses you want to merge in order to merge them yourself
- if you do not have a teacher role in all courses, LITS can merge the courses for you
Request LITS Merge Courses
- Go to any Bryn Mawr Moodle webpage.
- Click the Tech Support menu bar and choose Merge course sections.
- If prompted, log in using your college credentials.
Note: You no longer need to log into the VPN to access the help ticketing system from off-campus.
- Click the Request a Merged site button.
- Fill out the Moodle: Merged Site for Multi-Section Course form to tell us exactly which course number and which sections to include in the merge
- Click Submit.
The next available staff member will create the merged course and email you when it is complete or if there are questions. We will hide the original course shells for you so students see only the merged course on their Moodle Dashboards.
Merge Courses Yourself
- From your Moodle dashboard, open one of the courses you would like to merge.
- Click (Action menu) and choose Create merged course shell.
- Select one of the Courses to merge with the current course from the drop down menu.
Note: You can only merge courses from the same subject and semester and you must have an Instructor of record or Other editing teacher role in them. If you don't see the courses you need to merge, request LITS merge the courses for you.
- Repeat step 3 until all of the courses you want to merge with the current course are selected.
- Type in a Course full name. (You can edit change this later if needed.)
- Type in a Course shortname -- to ensure courses sort correctly, we recommend using the shortname Bionic created and substituting "merged" or "labmerged" for the section number (e.g., bmc.chem.b200.merged.f20 and bmc.chem.b200.labmerged.f20).
- Leave the remaining settings on the defaults and click Create.
You will end up on the main page of your new, merged course. See Panopto: Add the Panopto Block to a Moodle Course if you need to add a Panopto block to the merged course.
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!
Phone: 610-526-7440 | Library and Help Desk hours
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Service catalog
Location: Canaday Library 1st floor