The following article reviews miscellaneous remote learning tools that may be helpful.
If you are unable to use the College’s network, you could:
- Sign-up for internet service:
- For video calls: up/down speeds of ≥3mbps
- For multiple people: up/down speeds of ≥10mbps
- If possible, use a wired connection
- Use a mobile hotspot:
- Dependent on phone model and service
- Contact your service provider for questions
- Be aware that a Zoom call can use 2GB-2.5GB per hour
- Use public wifi:
- Available in local shops and libraries
- Not as secure or reliable
- Follow safety/security best practices when connected
Working from another Eduroam institution?
Hardware and accessories
- A dedicated printer/scanner can assist with printed work
- Scanning Apps for Mobile Devices are cheap and effective
- Minimize distracting noise with a headset and microphone
- Webcams are essential as a backup to your laptop’s camera
Clean your devices
- Disinfect your devices regularly to ensure they’re clean.
- Un-plug and power down your device completely
- Do not soak or directly spray
- Avoid getting moisture in any ports
- Use a microfiber cloth and non-abrasive cleaner
- Check manufacturer websites for detailed info
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!