Guest access is the mechanism for allowing people who are not enrolled in a Moodle course the ability to see what is posted in it. For academic courses, the College recommends:
- Enabling guest access during pre-registration and shopping periods so that interested students can view the syllabus, readings, and course assignments
- Disabling guest access after registration has closed unless there are pedagogical reasons to leave a course open.
Before you start, you will need the following:
- an Instructor of record or Other editing teacher role in a course (a Non-editing teacher cannot enable guest access).
What guests can and can’t do
- Guests can see everything you have posted to the course (including readings, videos, forum posts, etc.).
- Guests cannot participate in course activities such as Quizzes.*
- Guests do not need to have brynmawr.edu or haverford.edu credentials.
- Guests can be prompted to enter password if you want to limit access.
Note: If students need to submit assignments or take quizzes in Moodle before they have officially registered for a course, please enroll them as Auditors. Remind these students that they still need to officially register. They cannot get academic credit for the course unless they are officially registered for it through Bionic or the Registrar’s Office.
Enable/disable guest access for a course
- Log in to your course and click Participants in the sidebar menu.
- Click the gear icon and choose Enrollment Methods from the drop-down menu.
- If Guest access is grayed, it has been disabled. Click the Enable/Disable button (eye icon) to turn Guest access on and off.
- If you want to restrict guest access to specific people, click the Edit (gear) button next to the eye and add a Password. Give this password to people who need to enter the course. We strongly recommend creating a password for courses that will be permanently guest-accessible.
- When finished, click Save changes.
Find and enter guest-accessible courses
The Course Overview section on your Moodle Dashboard will only show courses you are enrolled in. To find and enter guest-accessible courses that you aren’t enrolled in, do the following:
- Log in to Moodle. (If you do not have an account on Bryn Mawr’s Moodle site, use the Log in as guest option.)
- In the Course Categories block at the bottom of your dashboard, you can:
- Browse for courses in particular categories by clicking through the links/menus.
- Search for a course by clicking All courses and typing keywords from the full or short name in the search box.
- Guest-accessible courses will have a Guest access icon that looks like an open padlock next to their title.
- Click on the course title to enter. If you are prompted for a password, enter the one your instructor or course organizer gave you (not your BMC password). If you don’t know the password or the password you were given isn’t working, contact the instructor.
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!
Phone: 610-526-7440 | Library and Help Desk hours
Email: email@example.com | Service catalog
Location: Canaday Library 1st floor