The Quiz is a great assessment tool provided by Moodle that can be used to test and evaluate students online. All of the results and grades will be recorded automatically into the course Gradebook, making it a very easy and versatile activity to use.
Before you start, you may need the following:
- an Instructor of Record or Other Editing Teacher role in a Bryn Mawr Moodle course.
Create a quiz
- On your Moodle course page, toggle Edit mode on.
- Within a topic, click +Add an activity or resource, select Quiz, and click Add.
- Give your Quiz a name and a description so your students can identify it.
It is possible to customize your Quiz using the different settings that are listed below the Quiz name and description on your setup page. Note that setting up your quiz is different from adding questions and editing your quiz. Below are instructions for setting up your quiz. When you’re finished customizing your settings, click Save and Display to start adding questions.
Choose when students can take the quiz
To determine when the quiz will open:
- Open you quiz.
- Got to the Settings page.
- Under Timing, go to Open Quiz.
- Check the Enable box to set the date and time on which students can begin to take the Quiz.
Note: When using the Open Quiz setting, students will always be able to see the listed item on your course page as long as the item is not hidden. However, students won’t be able to take the Quiz until the open date and time.
To determine when the quiz will close:
- Under Timing, go to Close the Quiz.
- Check the Enable box to set the last possible time at which students can begin taking the Quiz.
Note: After the closing time, students will not be able to start new attempts. Answers that the student submits after the quiz closing date will be saved but they will not be marked. We recommend students begin taking the quiz with enough time before the close time.
To determine how much time students will have to attempt the quiz:
- Under Timing, go to Time Limit.
- Check the Enable box and enter how much time students will have to take the quiz.
Note: It is possible to override timing settings (open close, time limit) for individual users as well as for groups of students. For instructions on how to do this, see Moodle: Extensions and overrides for activities
To determine how many times students can take the Quiz:
- Under Grades, choose Attempts allowed.
- Select an option between 1-10 or unlimited.
Add quiz questions
Once you have set up your Quiz, you can start adding questions. Note that editing your Quiz settings (above) is different from editing your Quiz content. To begin adding questions:
- From the Quiz settings page, click Save and Display to begin adding items.
- From your Moodle course page, click on the title of the Quiz (do NOT click on Edit or Edit settings!
- On the next screen, click Edit Quiz.
- Select the highest grade possible for the quiz by typing the number into the maximum grade box.
- To create a new question, click Add and select + a new question. You can also add a question from an existing question bank or a random question.
- A box will appear with a list of question types that you can add. Options include multiple choice, true/false, matching, short answer, numerical, essay, calculated, calculated multichoice/simple, drag and drop into text/marker/onto image, embedded answers (also cloze/fill in the blanks), random short-answer matching, and select missing words.
- Click Add. Note that you can choose a different type of question for each question item you add to the quiz.
- Fill in the question form and make sure to give points for the correct answer.
Videos & further reading on creating a quiz
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!