The "Installatron" built into Domain of One's Own makes it easy to install open-source web-publishing applications like WordPress, Omeka, Grav, or Scalar that you can use to build your own web content.
Before you start, you will need access to the following:
Install an application
- Go to https://digital.brynmawr.edu/ and click Dashboard.
- Log in with your Bryn Mawr username and password.
- Click one of the recommended Applications (such as Scalar -- shown in the red box below) OR click All Applications and choose from the full list.
Not sure which application to choose? See our articles on WordPress, Omeka, Scalar and Grav for ideas.
- On the application information page, click + install this application to open the Installatron installation wizard:
- In most cases, you can leave the default settings in place. However, pay special attention to these elements:
- Location: If this is your first application, the Directory (Optional) field will be blank; for each subsequent application, the Installatron will autogenerate a directory name for it. Notice how the directory name appears in the URL; edit this now if you don't like the name; changing it later could break links on your site.
- Version: Keep the default settings to install the latest version of Scalar and have CPanel keep it up-to-date for you.
Warning: Do not install an out-of-date version unless you have a specific reason to do so (e.g., you need a feature that isn't supported in the current version) and you understand the security risks. Out-of-date applications are more vulnerable to hacking, so you should be extra careful about what you post on them and monitor them closely.
- Settings: The Username and Administrator Password fields create the credentials will use to log into this site as an administrator; they do not change your login credentials for other sites installed on your domain or your BMC credentials.
Warning: In many cases you WILL NOT be able to retrieve or reset your Username and Administrator password if you forget them, so store them someplace secure (i.e., where you can access them but no one else can copy or steal them). Do not share them -- if other people need to add content to or administer your website, create user accounts for them with the appropriate permissions instead.
- Click +Install at the bottom of page when you've finished adjusting the settings.
You will be redirected to the My Applications page where you can watch the installation progress, and then log in and manage your application.
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!
Phone: 610-526-7440 | Library and Help Desk hours
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Service catalog
Location: Canaday Library 1st floor