Panopto, Bryn Mawr’s lecture capture system, is available to Bryn Mawr College students and to Haverford students registered for Bryn Mawr courses. You can use Panopto to:
- View pre-recorded, narrated lectures and foster discussions around them.
- Record or upload a narrated presentation as a course assignment.
To access the software, students can use Bryn Mawr’s online Panopto platform directly at https://brynmawr.hosted.panopto.com and sign in with the SAML or Moodle option and your Bryn Mawr College credentials.
Record a video
Before you start, you might need:
- If you are recording from an off-campus location and your computer does not have a webcam please reach out to your Dean or instructor regarding possible technology accommodations.
- If you are recording from an on-campus location, you may use one of Bryn Mawr’s lecture-style classrooms which are equipped to record on Panopto. To find one, visit Technology Enhanced Classrooms, find your building, and look for “lecture capture” in the listing.
Start a recording
- Log in to your computer and open any applications and files that you will use during your recording. For example, if you wanted to show Powerpoint slides, a web page, and an image in a PDF document, open your PowerPoint file, your web browser, and the PDF file. Opening your presentation materials before opening Panopto ensures that your computer will run smoothly while recording.
- Launch the Panopto application or your browser recorder by opening the Panopto desktop app installed on your computer or by logging in via Bryn Mawr’s online Panopto platform.
Launch the Panopto desktop app
- Double-click on the Panopto desktop icon (a green hexagonal ribbon) in the system tray (PC) or Dock (Mac).
- If prompted to log in, log in using your Bryn Mawr College credentials.
Launch the Panopto recorder on your browser
- Visit Bryn Mawr’s Online Panopto platform.
- Log in with your Bryn Mawr credentials using the SAML or Moodle options.
- Click on the blue Create button.
- From the dropdown menu, select Record a new session from the drop-down list.
- Choose the Moodle course you are recording to/for (e.g. PSYC 102) from the drop-down Folder menu at the top of the page.
- Give the recording a Name or use the default title (recording day, date, and time).
- When you are finished recording, click the Stop button.
Note: To check the audio levels by speaking and watching the microphone bar:
- Move the slider bar to increase or decrease volume as needed.
- If nothing shows up in the audio level window, click Settings and try different options on the Default audio source or reposition the camera using onscreen controls.
- When you are finished with set up, click Record to start recording.
- For more detailed information, including how to use on-screen features during a recording, see Panopto’s guide on How to Record a Video and Best Practices for Recording.
Upload a recording
- After you have stopped your recording by clicking the Stop button, a dialog box will appear.
- Choose Done to upload the recording to Panopto. The recording will begin processing (note that this may take a while).
- While the recording is processing, you may lock your computer (Windows) or put it to sleep (Mac), but do not turn it off. The recording will finish uploading in the background as long as the computer remains on and is connected to the Internet (even if you log out and another user logs in).
Upload external videos onto Panopto
Students can also upload videos created or recorded elsewhere into Panopto to share them with others. You can do this by uploading the video to Panopto from any computer (Mac or PC). Media files can only be uploaded online via Bryn Mawr’s Panopto platform and cannot be uploaded via the desktop app.
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!