This article explains how create and send Zoom meeting invitations from within Outlook/Microsoft365. You will be able to manage and your invitees will join these meetings from within Outlook or the Zoom web portal and desktop/mobile apps.
Before you start, you will need:
- a Bryn Mawr college email account
- an account on Bryn Mawr College’s Zoom license
Add a Zoom meeting to an Outlook event
To schedule Zoom meetings in Outlook, you will create the Outlook meeting/event as you would normally, and add a Zoom meeting link to it.
- Log into your college email account (or open your desktop or mobile Outlook app).
- Click on (Calendar) to open your calendar.
- Click New event (or New Meeting or Appointment if using the old Outlook desktop)
- Configure the meeting title, attendees, and time and date as you would normally.
- Click the Zoom menu and choose Add a Zoom Meeting.
Don't see a Zoom menu? You may need to unhide Zoom in your Outlook settings. To do this click (Settings) in the top Outlook menu (NOT the menu in the Create New Event window), choose Calendar, then Customize Actions, and check the Zoom box.
- If you are not already logged in to Zoom, you will be prompted to log in:
- Click Allow on the "Zoom wants to display a new window" notification.
- Scroll to the bottom of the sign-in window and click the SSO button.
brynmawr-eduas the company domain and click Continue.
- Log in with your Bryn Mawr college username and password.
- Zoom will schedule a meeting for the date and time you indicated and paste the log-in information into the description field for your Outlook calendar event.
- Click Send to send the event invitation and Zoom log-in information to your attendees.
Your invitees can accept the calendar event invitation as they would normally to place it on their calendar and then join the Zoom meeting using the link in that event. Depending on their Zoom settings, they may also see and be able to join the meeting in the Zoom web portal and desktop or mobile apps.
Editing and deleting meetings
Zoom applies your default meeting settings to meetings you create in Outlook. Any subsequent changes you make to the meeting in one platform are automatically synced to the other platform.
- To change settings for an existing meeting or add alternative hosts:
- In Outlook, select the calendar event, click Edit, click Zoom and choose Settings.
- In the Zoom web portal or desktop/mobile app, click the Meetings tab, select or hover over the meeting, and click Edit.
- For a recurring series, the same settings apply to all meetings in the series. If you need to configure meetings within a series differently, create separate Outlook events/Zoom meetings for them.
- More complex meeting options, such as polling and breakout rooms, can only be configured in the Zoom web portal. See Zoom: Create and use breakout rooms and Zoom: Chat, reactions, and polls.
- To change the default settings applied to all future meetings, log in the Zoom web portal or desktop/mobile app and choose Settings. See Zoom's documentation on meeting settings for details.
- Deleting the Outlook event you used to create a Zoom meeting also deletes the Zoom meeting. If you only want to prevent it from blocking your availability in Outlook, edit the event and change your availability from Busy to Free instead (this only affects visibility on your calendar).
Scheduling for other people
To routinely schedule Zoom meetings on someone else's behalf in Outlook, you will need them to:
See Zoom’s Guide for Executive Assistants for details.
Disabling automatic syncing
If you do not want your Zoom and Outlook calendars to sync, you can turn off bi-directional syncing:
- Go to the Zoom web portal and click Log in with SSO to sign in.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Calendar tab.
- Under Calendar and Contacts, click the Automatically sync Zoom calendar events information bi-directionally between Zoom and integrated calendars toggle.
- Click Enable verify the change.
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!