This article explains how to copy content from one Moodle course to another. Instructors can do this themselves if they have a Teacher role in both courses or request that LITS copy courses for them.
Before you begin, you may need:
- An Instructor of record or Other editing teacher role in both Moodle course if you want to copy content yourself
IMPORTANT: Copying Panopto recordings to the new course requires an additional step. Participants will not be able to view Panopto recordings associated with the Moodle course until you do this.
Request LITS Copy a Course
LITS can copy the entire content of one course into another course for you.
- Click Tech Support in the menu bar at the top of any Moodle page.
- Choose Copy old course into new.
- Click the Request course copy button.
- Fill out the form, then click Request to submit.
This form creates a Help Desk ticket for our Moodle support team; the next available staff member will copy the course and email it when it is complete or if there are questions.
Note: It may take us a couple of business days to complete a copy request, especially during periods of high demand before a semester starts.
Copy Course Content Yourself
There are three ways to copy content from another course into your Moodle course. In all cases, you must have an Instructor or record or Other editing teacher role in both courses; if you do not, ask someone with either role to enroll you with these permissions or request that LITS copy the course for you.
Use this method when you are copying from a course on moodle.brynmawr.edu and want to include all or most of the content or preserve the course layout and formatting.
- Open the destination course (i.e., the course you are importing to).
- Click (Actions menu) and choose Import.
- Under Find a course to import data from, select your source course (i.e., the course that contains the material you want to import) and click Continue.
Note: If course isn't showing up, double-check that you have typed the name correctly and that you have an Instructor of record or Other editing teacher role in the course.
- On the Import settings page, uncheck any category of materials that you don't want to bring over from the source course, such calendar events or groups and groupings if they won't be relevant in the new context.
- If you want to exclude individual items within a category -- for example, some but not all activities -- and uncheck the those boxes on the Schema Settings page (as shown below). Otherwise, click Jump to Final step.
- Click Perform import.
- Once the import has finished, click Continue to return to your course.
Use this method when you are copying from another course on moodle.brynmawr.edu and only need to copy a few resources or activities.
Add the Sharing Cart Block to BOTH Courses
- Click Turn editing on (if it isn't on already).
- Scroll to the bottom of the left sidebar and click Add a block.
- Choose Sharing Cart.
The Sharing Cart block should now appear the right side of your course page (you may need to scroll down to see it) and you will see little (shopping basket) icons next to course resources and activities.
Use the Sharing Cart to Transfer Items Between Them
- In your source course, click the (shopping basket icon) next to an activity or resource to upload it to the Sharing Cart.
- Go to your destination course and click the (copy icon) next to that item in the Sharing Cart.
- Click one of the gray (download) boxes to place that item in the appropriate section on your course page.
- If needed, click the (directional arrows icon) next to the item to move it within that section.
Backup and Restore
Use this method to copy course material from a course on our MoodleArchive site into a course on moodle.brynmawr.edu.
Create a Backup of the Source Course
- Click on the MoodleArchive (f17-sp20 courses) link at the top of any Moodle page.
- Log in using your Bryn Mawr College credentials.
Note: You will not be able to log into MoodleArchive if your Bryn Mawr College credentials were created after spring 2020. Request that LITS copy the course over for you instead.
- Find the course you want to copy.
- Click the (Actions menu) and choose Backup.
- If you want to copy the entire course, click Jump to Final Step to start the backup. If only want to copy part of the course, click Next then walk through the steps to deselect the content you don’t need first.
- Once the "backup successful message appears," click Continue.
- The backup file will be in your Course backup area or User private backup area; click Download to save it to your hard drive.
Restore the Backup into the Destination Course
- Log in to moodle.brynmawr.edu with your Bryn Mawr College credentials.
- Go to the course where you want to put the backed-up content.
- Click the (Actions menu) and choose Restore.
- Click on the Actions menu (gear icon) in the top right and choose Restore.
- Under Import a backup file, click Choose a file … and browse for the backup file you just downloaded OR drag-and-drop the backup file into the box provided.
- Click Restore.
- The Confirm page list details about the backup file; if everything looks OK scroll to the end and click Continue.
- On the Destination page, scroll down to Restore into this Course and click Continue.
- The next few pages allow you to select the elements in the backup file you want to restore. Everything is included by default, you can uncheck things you don’t need if you need to, and scroll to the bottom of each page and click Next.
- When you get to the Review page, scroll down to the bottom and click Perform restore.
- After the upload process is complete, click Continue to return to your main course page.
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!