Use Checklist to create a checklists, to-do lists, or task lists for students to work through. Checklists can help instructors and/or students keep track of students' progress in a course and can be particularly useful when students are working independently and at their own pace.
Before you start, you may need the following:
- an Instructor of Record or Other Editing Teacher role in a Bryn Mawr Moodle course.
Create a checklist
- In your Moodle course, toggle Edit mode on and navigate to the section of the course where you wish to add the checklist.
- Click on +Add activity or resource. From the list of activities, and select Checklist.
- Give your checklist a title and (optionally) a description.
- Select the settings for your checklist. You may allow students to add their own items and update the checklist, enable comments by teachers, and add checklist due dates to your Moodle calendar.
- Save your checklist and return to your course’s main page.
Add checklist items
- Click on the title of your checklist. This will take you to the checklist preview.
- Select Edit checklist from the menu tabs.
- The first text box allows you to type in to create each checklist item.
- The second box allows you to include a URL to which the text will link students (this second box is optional).
- To add a date to the checklist item click Edit Dates and select the desired date.
- Click Add to finish adding an item
- Follow the same steps for every item you wish to add to this activity.
Edit item settings
- From your Moodle course page, click on the title of your checklist.
- From the Edit checklist menu tab you can choose the color of the checklist item, access item settings via the gear icon, or delete an item using the delete icon.
- Click the tabs (Checklist, View progress, and Edit checklist) to navigate through your checklist.
- View checklist will allow you to see how the checklist will be displayed to users
- View progress will show you the progress each student has made on this checklist
- Edit checklist will bring you back to your checklist item setup options
Changes to the checklist will be made when you save each item using the Add button. To exit the checklist editor, simply navigate back to your main page.
- Choosing whether students or teachers can check-off items
- Students can add their own notes to their checklist
- Dates can be added to items (and exported to the calendar)
- Teachers can comment on an individual student’s items
- Progress can be exported to the gradebook
- Teachers can choose colors for each checklist item
Videos & Further Reading on Checklists
- MoodleDocs: Checklist Module
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!