By default, Bionic creates Moodle courses for every section of an academic course. If you plan to use the same content and activities, we can create a single, merged course shell that enrolls students from all sections so you only have one course to maintain. You can merge the courses yourself or request that LITS do it for you.
Before you start, you may need:
- an Instructor of record or Other editing teacher role in all courses you want to merge in order to merge them yourself
- if you do not have a teacher role in all courses, EAST can still merge the courses for you
Request LITS Merge Courses
- Click Tech Support at the top of any Moodle page and choose Merge course sections.
- If prompted, log in using your college credentials.
Note: You no longer need to log into the VPN to access the help ticketing system from off-campus.
- Fill out the Moodle: Merged Site for Multi-Section Course form to tell us exactly which course number and which sections to include in the merge, then click Request.
The next available staff member will create the merged course and email you when it is complete or if there are questions. We will hide the original course shells for you so students see only the merged course on their Moodle Dashboard.
Merge Courses Yourself
- From your Moodle dashboard, open one of the courses you would like to merge.
- Click (Action menu) and choose Create merged course shell.
- Select each of the Courses to merge with the current course from the drop down menu.
Note: If courses are missing from the list, you do not have an Instructor of record or Other editing teacher role in them. Request that their instructors give you this role so you can merge them or request LITS merge the courses for you.
- Repeat step 3 until all of the courses you want to merge with the current course are selected.
- Type a name for the merged course in the Course full name box. (You can edit change this later if needed.)
- Type a short name in the Course shortname box
To ensure courses sort correctly, we recommend copying the shortname Bionic created and substituting "merged" or "labmerged" for the section number (e.g., bmc.chem.b200.merged.f20 and bmc.chem.b200.labmerged.f20).
- Leave the remaining settings on the defaults and click Create.
You will be taken to the new merged course with the title you gave it. See Panopto: Add the Panopto Block to a Moodle Course if you need to add a Panopto block to the merged course.
If you have any additional questions or problems, don't hesitate to reach out to the Help Desk!